The Kucinich Plan For Iraq
Rep. Dennis Kucinich has drafted a plan for ending the US military involvement in Iraq.
“There is a compelling need for a new direction in Iraq, one that recognizes the plight of the people of Iraq, the false and illegal basis of the United States war against Iraq, the realities on the ground which make a military resolution of the conflict unrealistic and the urgent responsibility of the United States, which caused the chaos, to use the process of diplomacy and international law to achieve stability in Iraq, a process which will establish peace and stability in Iraq allow our troops to return home with dignity.”
These are the elements of the Kucinich Plan:
1. The US announces it will end the occupation, close military bases and withdraw.
2. US announces that it will use existing funds to bring the troops and necessary equipment home.
3. Order a simultaneous return of all US contractors to the United States and turn over all contracting work to the Iraqi government.
4. Convene a regional conference for the purpose of developing a security and stabilization force for Iraq.
5. Prepare an international security and peacekeeping force to move in, replacing US troops who then return home.
6. Develop and fund a process of national reconciliation.
7. Reconstruction and Jobs.
9. Political Sovereignty.
10. Iraq Economy.
11. Economic Sovereignty.
12. International Truth and Reconciliation.